Korea here I come!
So, all my bags are packed and essentially I'm ready to go. I woke up this morning and stayed in bed for an extra hour, not because I was tired but because as I opened my eyes I realized this would be the last morning I'd wake up and start my day as a permanent resident of 1073 Coverdale Rd. A weird kind of sadness filled me at that thought. It's funny, when I left for school in PEI 4 years ago I thought for sure that would be the last time this place would ever be my full time home and I was psyched! As I graduated, said goodbye to friends, and to my family there was no sadness and all - just excitement for the many things I may go onto experience. I suppose it was very different though. Even though I thought I'd never be living here again I did know I'd be visiting regularly. Hmmm, I liked that excitement though, that zest for life and the possibilities it may hold . . . as I'm writing it's beginning to come back to me.
This is the biggest move I've ever made, and I'm at a point in my life where I've had a lot of really good experiences and adventures in different parts of the country and world - more than most of the people I know. And though I've loved these experiences and am so thankful that God has blessed me with a life where I'm able to have them, I also have that feeling of wanting consistency in my life. . . I s
uppose this will be a type of consistency though! This will be the longest I've been in one place since I've graduated highschool! I received the ticket Thursday and as I held it in my hand the reality - wow, I'm leaving everyone I love for a year - hit me very hard. As I've said goodbye to friends, I knew there's a good chance I will never see some of them again, and though I've become used to that in my travels it still holds sadness - especially as some of these are the friends who have given me back a sense of roots. 
The place I'm in with my family right now is also rather wonderful. My brother's and I are all on very good terms. I would call all of them friends. I haven't had any even slightly major problems with my parents for months and spending time with my nephew and his family has been a blast. Yesterday for Father's day we all went out to the park and it was just one of those days where you feel incredibly blessed to have the people in your life that you do. During this time, I was talking to a friend's father on the phone. A man I've only met less than a handful of times. He said something that at the time, (surrounded by my family) didn't provide a lot of comfort, but that I see as truth and wise words now. He said that I shouldn't think of this new venture as being separated from the people I love but as an opportunity to keep that love and also be open to receive the love of people I'll meet in Korea (or something like that).
Yeah, for the first time in my life I'm not really super looking forward to travelling but I should be, and I love how as I think about it and write about it through the day (and not let my pointless worries, concerns, and fear of loneliness (a feeling I'm really not used to) get the better of me) excitement begins to creep in. This trip may not be as a result of any grand dream or adventure, it may be motivated more from a lack of not knowing what else to do than anything else, it may create pain in being separated from the people I love and the people I may come to love -but it's also sweet!

Okay, enough contemplation and going back and forth - In 12 hours I'll be waking up to my alarm (at an unholy hour) and getting ready to leave on a jet plane. . .whoo! Travelling. I hope I meet people on my journey. Some of my best encounters have been on trains in Europe - I've yet to have a good plane meeting - people are not usually overly friendly on them, but I have faith and confidence that this could very well be the trip where I'm able to overcome airplane snobbery and have a wonderful interaction with some interesting stranger!
The next time I update this I'll be on the other side of the world. Oh the wonders of the modern world :D
This is the biggest move I've ever made, and I'm at a point in my life where I've had a lot of really good experiences and adventures in different parts of the country and world - more than most of the people I know. And though I've loved these experiences and am so thankful that God has blessed me with a life where I'm able to have them, I also have that feeling of wanting consistency in my life. . . I s
uppose this will be a type of consistency though! This will be the longest I've been in one place since I've graduated highschool! I received the ticket Thursday and as I held it in my hand the reality - wow, I'm leaving everyone I love for a year - hit me very hard. As I've said goodbye to friends, I knew there's a good chance I will never see some of them again, and though I've become used to that in my travels it still holds sadness - especially as some of these are the friends who have given me back a sense of roots. 
The place I'm in with my family right now is also rather wonderful. My brother's and I are all on very good terms. I would call all of them friends. I haven't had any even slightly major problems with my parents for months and spending time with my nephew and his family has been a blast. Yesterday for Father's day we all went out to the park and it was just one of those days where you feel incredibly blessed to have the people in your life that you do. During this time, I was talking to a friend's father on the phone. A man I've only met less than a handful of times. He said something that at the time, (surrounded by my family) didn't provide a lot of comfort, but that I see as truth and wise words now. He said that I shouldn't think of this new venture as being separated from the people I love but as an opportunity to keep that love and also be open to receive the love of people I'll meet in Korea (or something like that).
Yeah, for the first time in my life I'm not really super looking forward to travelling but I should be, and I love how as I think about it and write about it through the day (and not let my pointless worries, concerns, and fear of loneliness (a feeling I'm really not used to) get the better of me) excitement begins to creep in. This trip may not be as a result of any grand dream or adventure, it may be motivated more from a lack of not knowing what else to do than anything else, it may create pain in being separated from the people I love and the people I may come to love -but it's also sweet!

Okay, enough contemplation and going back and forth - In 12 hours I'll be waking up to my alarm (at an unholy hour) and getting ready to leave on a jet plane. . .whoo! Travelling. I hope I meet people on my journey. Some of my best encounters have been on trains in Europe - I've yet to have a good plane meeting - people are not usually overly friendly on them, but I have faith and confidence that this could very well be the trip where I'm able to overcome airplane snobbery and have a wonderful interaction with some interesting stranger!
The next time I update this I'll be on the other side of the world. Oh the wonders of the modern world :D


1 Comments:
Great posts (I just read all of them right now). I hope you have an awesome trip and meet wonderful people and do wonderful things!! Can't wait to read about your adventures..and everyday happenings as well!! Have fun Charlene!!! You'll be missed!
Post a Comment
<< Home