Sunday, September 10, 2006

See you when it snows . . .

So yesterday was a day of ‘Korean’ normalcy I guess – or at least a move into that direction. After almost 5 hours of my day off was taken up by a ‘specially scheduled’ work meeting that wasn’t supposed to last more than 2 hours I was off to the house of one of Leona’s South African friends. That’s right, a house! (I know a house probably sounds like nothing but this is the only house I’ve been in since I walked out my front door in Riverview 2 ½ months ago.) I went to help prepare for a birthday bash she was having that night – my contribution – baked cookies! as well as helping out with decorations. To say the least – they did not turn out as I’d hoped. Many of the ingredients were not quite what you’d find in Canada . . .sigh – but they were edible – and everyone said they liked them. The ones that I didn’t drop on the floor that is. I’ve come to accept the fact that I will most likely never ‘grow out’ of my clutzyness. I also knocked over the bowl of sauce for the chicken onto the lawn later on – luckily, it was just the extra stuff! :D

Anyway, Leona decided to make bread . . . she’d seen her mom do it hundreds of times but attempting it herself was an entirely different matter. She ended up on the floor kneading the dough in the bowl between cries of frustration. I did the kneading after it rose the first time – it was fun but HARD! – It turned out okay – not what she intended – we ended up making ‘grill cakes’ with it which I cooked on the BBQ. It was cool. The party was 17 people, a mix of Koreans, Westerners, and a couple ‘western’ Koreans. (One of them being a girl who I found out graduated with my brother Clinton!) A few of us ended up on the patio roof and then ventured up the cement shingles – it was awesome. A mountain view, moonlight, cool breeze that felt amazing as we lifted up our arms and faces, feeling like we’d fall back into nothingness (just an illusion ‘cause of the incline – it was pretty safe – no worries!) We made a semi pact to meet back there on the first snow – Sung, a Korean who’s been in America for the past ten years but had to come back to do his army service next year said that’s a common thing in Korean movies – when people part ways they make an agreement to meet in a certain place on the first snow. I like that idea very much!

Hmm, well I'm tired and I think I’m not really in the mood to write anymore. I’ll just mention one more thing though – the presents Adri got were very interesting – from a portrait, to body wash, to lemon scented plants, an orchid, a backpack full of ‘dollar store’ stuff and my favorite – a package of pads. That’s right, in a bag with beautifully scented body wash she received an extra large package of sanitary napkins. Apparently, it’s common among girlfriends in Korea. Adri told me she turned all shades of red when she opened it (I was still on the roof) in the crowded mixed room. I’m sure it’s a gift she’ll always remember.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you shouldn't bake like you have seen your mother doing! I must say that I really didn't teach you anything about baking, but you still can't beat my turkey dinner with all the fixings. Mom

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home