Monday, October 30, 2006

Tuesday October 10th, 2006

We decided to take it a little easier our last day and let Dad decide the main course of events. He wanted to see the main city so we were off on a bus yet again, traveling across the beautiful island. The city wasn’t very different from any other I’ve been to in Korea but the day was lovely for walking around. We came across a bustling fish and food market, and I was excited that my parents were getting to experience this aspect of Korea. Taking in the sights, sounds, and smells, holding my dad’s camera at waist level (where the strap let it rest) I snapped pictures of the merchants unaware. As we continued on we stopped to look at a number of things that we only later found out were part of the ‘sites to see’ marked off in the Jeju Island tour guide book.

We saw a sign for Yongduam rock (Dragonhead rock), a sight my mom had wanted to see so hopped in a taxi and were off. It was significantly less exciting than the photo taken at sunset portrayed it but a cool spot nonetheless. After heading back to the city center for lunch at Isaac’s and a stop at Dunkin Donuts we hopped on another bus to take us to the nearby beach that was said to have sand that would cure rheumatism, muscle pain and various other maladies. The beach was deserted, (even the showers were turned off and the changing rooms locked up) save for a few fully clothed people walking dogs, etc. but mom and I got our suits on and headed out anyway. If we were in the maritimes the weather would have been a prime beach day – 25oC is a pretty cool day for people who are used to 35-40oC weather in the summer though. After ‘bathing’ in the sand (and mom shaping a mermaid out of me) we headed in the water to get cleaned off – and get cleaned off we did. The water was beautiful, so clear and sparkling, not a rock or piece of seaweed to be found. Splashing around, diving through the water was a little taste of paradise I think. Yes . . . most certainly. Mom and I had a fun time out there as Dad snapped pictures from afar, I made a particularly memorable memory, then headed back to shore to take a run on a beach before heading back to civilization. It’s amazing how many marvelous moments we can have without fully realizing it. I’m not including the many tiring or not so great moments because they don’t come to mind to write. But it’s the wonder that flows into me and settles – memory is a marvelous thing. And the ability to retell – a way of living through the moments again.

We happened upon a model prehistoric village, took a bus back (after I ran back to the beach to retrieve my mom’s bathing suit) and witnessed many more Koreans just living their lives. The rest of my parents trip (which included four more days) is going to have to remain undocumented I think. Seeing as this is being written over two weeks after the fact and many other notable things are being neglected for chronology’s sake. We returned to Daegu, we shared time together, they had some mishaps in trying to leave the country. It was a wonderful visit.

Oh, I have to mention one thing though, we decided not to go to Seoul as planned for their last weekend here and so stayed around Daegu. On Saturday we had a wonderful evening with Leona, Adri, and Owen (and his friend) then on Sunday after church, while trying to kill some time between going to the church of the army family, we went to a park and sat around for a bit. Mom was resting on a bench nearby and Dad and I were chatting, making up stories of the people nearby, etc. At one point I asked him to tell me his story. And he did. He told me things about his childhood, about his family, about his life growing up. Some things I’d never heard before, others I’d only heard bits and pieces of. I learned so much about this man I’d lived with my whole life and hardly even know. So much. I’m appalled it took me 21 years to ask but am extremely glad I did. I think that hour or so was one of the best for me out of their whole trip.

** If you want to see some more, and better quality pics check out my new flickr account

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had the hour or so too...I even wish that you had taken even more time. I stayed away and quiet until I saw you two getting restless and knew it was time to arise. You need to take more of those moments...he will talk...you just have to work at it. :)

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home